Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:04:20 +0100
From:      Lila <liladude@aruba.it>
To:        sub02@freeode.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using 'incorrect' HD geometry.

Hi,
I'm using win2k an freebsd 6.0 on my laptop too, and I've been
reinstalling freebsd pretty often (I'm still tring my way to have it
working, so I started with 5.4 and than moved to 4.11 and 6.0) without
ever changing my win partition.
As you say, I'm always prompted about incorrect geometry, I hit ok and
go on, than fdisk show me something like the one you got, with ad0s1 as
my win (NTFS) partition and ad0s2 as my freebsd partition. All I do at
this rate is to set my ad0s1 to be my active partition (I boot both from
the win 2000 booter) than I go ahead leaving the MBR as is and install
freebsd in freebsd partition. Unfortunately I've never been able to keep
the /usr label as is (I always delete them all and start from a auto
layout), and I can't help you if you're willing to keep their data safe.
I got this article as model when I first did it:
http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2004/10/dual-boot-freebsd-5.html
My windows partition was out of order only once, when I forgot to set it
bootable, but this is because I actually boot both OS from it: I went
back to fdisk, fixed it and got my windows working with no problem.
I can't tell you to go ahed with no backup... but I can say your win
partition is pretty safe with freebsd fdisk.
Regards
Lila