Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:17:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Danny Byers <dan@magma.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Aopen NIC - RealTek Chipset ???

hey everyone, I have another problem.

Specs:

FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE - modded kernel
AMD Duron 600
64Mb RAM
Intel EtherExpress 10/100 NIC
AOpen AON 325 10/100 NIC

Problem: After browsing the net and routing an internal network through my AOpen
NIC for days (the net comes in through my Intel NIC, then routes internally
through my AOpen NIC to a hub), tonight I found that I had lost net access and I
rebooted my BSD box ('cause I couldn't find the problem). When the box came back
up my AOpen NIC didn't show up! (green light is still ON on the NIC)

Booting the system, my Intel NIC is on IRQ 11 and the AOpen NIC shows up on IRQ
10.  I tried swapping PCI slots and now the AOpen NIC shows up on IRQ 11 and it
is still undetectable - by the kernel?

Supposedly, the AOpen NIC uses the RealTek chipset (what I read from their
manual that I got with the card) so I had enabled support for this in the
kernel... and it had worked perfectly until this afternoon.

I have a modified kernel and I have enabled the RealTek device in the kernel
file with the MII bus support:
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
and I obviously have the Intel NIC enabled for fxp(#)

Does anyone have a clue as to why this NIC would just drop out from being
detected by the kernel when I boot the box up?  when the system loads my rc.conf
and tries to assign the address to this AOpen card it says that it (rl0) is not
found.

Maybe it is a hardware failure and I need to replace the NIC?

Thank you very much in advance!
Dan