Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:02:46 +1200
From:      David Preece <dpreece@paradise.net.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   S/Key - this is embarrasing.

So, in two days time I'm helping a newbie do his first FreeBSD install.

I have a spare machine that did have 4.0 on it and therefore has 'known good'
hardware, and I have my arrived-this-morning 4.5 disks from Daemon News.
Since this is the first time I've done a 4.5 install I decide to kill an hour
just making sure it'll all go OK. I've installed the OS, given myself a user,
DHCP'd onto the network and all is good.

Until I come to ssh onto it from a Linux box I just happen to have in front
of me, whereupon I get:

[davep@mandrake davep]$ ssh -V
OpenSSH_3.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090603f
[davep@mandrake davep]$ ssh 192.168.0.65
otp-md5 498 fo0162 ext
S/Key Password:

And then the password (which I can use to login locally) doesn't work. What
gives? The only real cause I can think of is that there's no reverse DNS here
right now. Hmmmm.

So I'm sure this has been asked before, but the mailing list search engine on
FreeBSD.org appears to be down, adding to my acute embarrasment. All this on
a day when it finally looks like I'm going to get *paid* (no, not by the
newbie) for using FreeBSD.

Dave