Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 05:32:49 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Looking for something to do?

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

> * gstreamer[-plugins]: Make sure your favorite plug-in works.  Try
> testing out gst-capable apps such as rhythmbox, gst-mixer,
> nautilus-media, etc.

Koop Mast and me are working on this. I was able to build quite a lot of
plugins, but I did not do any testing before.

Since I'll be away from FreeBSD until 29th, I have uploaded my current
work here:

http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/gsp/

If you want to use these patches, be sure to contact Koop first, since
is working on disjoint problems of the port, and I asked him to merge my
results.

> * Nautilus' volume monitor code: The volume monitor code has been
> completely re-written in GNOME 2.5, and I'm much happier with the
> FreeBSD code.  I've tried to make the functionality as close to Linux as
> possible, but you never know.  What you should test here is make sure a
> mounted CD/DVD or floppy disk shows up on the desktop.  You should also
> be able to do ``sysclt vfs.usermount=1'' then add an entry to fstab
> where the mount point is owned by a user other than root, then see that
> icon on your desktop even when the disk is not mounted.  You should then
> be able to right-click on the icon, and mount the disk.

Unfortunately, that does not work for me.
I set vfs.usermount=1, and my /etc/fstab looks like this:

/dev/acd0c             /home/simon/cdrom    cd9660  ro,nosuid,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0.1440          /home/simon/floppy   msdos   rw,nosuid,noauto 0 0

I can mount the volumes via computer:///, but there are no mount links
on the desktop.

Happy holidays,
 Simon

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu