Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:07:01 -0600
From:      Allan_Ross@gov.nt.ca
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spam sender using domain name as spoofed source

I have a FreeBSD machine that I set up, mostly to learn more about the
ins and outs of *nix based servers. As such I run sendmail on it and
Apache to host a small web site. I registered a domain name as well.
Things have gone fairly smoothly and without incident until recently.
The server is suddenly receiving thousands of email a day, from
postmasters! It appears that some spam lord has decided that my domain
would bea good one for spoofing as the sender address of his garbage.
Every one of his spam messages that generates an error message (user
does not exist, mailbox full, spam blocking programs, etc) sends the
reply to MY SERVER. Now this would normally not be a big deal as I could
simply filter for this stuff and toss it to /dev/null as it comes in,
but I am on a broadband connection with a 10GB monthly limit and this
traffic added onto my regular monthly traffic, is pushing me well over
the 10GB mark and it is costing me money. For now, I have shut down
sendmail externally just to stem the flow, but is there a solution for
this? How can I prevent the delivery of these messages so that I don't
get a traffic at all?  Or am I pretty much stuck with either tossing my
domain name or shutting down mail services?

Any help or guidance appreciated!