Date:         Sun, 31 Aug 97 20:16 PDT
From:      Denis DeLaRoca                       <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@RAH.STAR-GATE.COM>
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   guspnp18 and vat

Amancio,

Not very good news... vat sounds wretched with guspnp18. It's always
possible that the modified isa.c that I got by retrofitting Luigi's
version with what's on -current is not right, but I doubt it. I also
used the latest version of vat's audio-voxware.cc that you sent me.
The resulting sound is full of breaks and distortion... even rat
on the same audio streams sounded worst.

I have gone back to guspnp17 and the audio-voxware.cc module that
you modified about a week ago and that yields not perfect but fairly
good sound -- there appear to be some suspicious hiccups even on
audio streams with as little as 1% loss; though, I think the delay
jitter which is very spiky may account for that.

The other outstanding problem is with passing the audio device among
multiple active vats. That is completely broken and I think we have
to wrestle with vat's code to find out how that is supposed to work.

-- Denis