Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:44:52 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba Problem

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 09:01:47PM -0500, Adam Stroud wrote:
> I am relatively new to FreeBSD.  I have been using Linux for about a year and
> I have decided to make the change to FreeBSD.  I currently have one computer
> running Win98, one running RedHat Linux and one running FreeBSD.  I am having
> trouble connecting to the smb shares on the Linux box from the FreeBSD box.
> >From the BSD box, I can connect to the windows shares, but when I try to
> mount the Linux shares I got "smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr =
> Authentication error".  What really has me puzzled is the fact that the
> FreeBSD box originally had Linux on it and I had no problem connecting to the
> other Linux box with samba.  Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm guessing that you're using the remaining Linux box either as a
domain controller or otherwise using just the local passwd / smbpasswd
files on that box for Samba authentication?

When you reinstalled the 2nd linux box with FreeBSD, did you take care
to copy the old MACHINE.SID to the newly installed system?  If not,
your samba server is probably treating the FreeBSD box as an impostor.
Try deleting and recreating the machine account from scratch.

However, this begs the question of why you are using Samba to share
disks between two unix(oid) machines?  NFS may well be a better
solution in that case.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way