Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 2020 19:08:45 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: 1341MB swap in use with half gig of free memory

On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 04:27:49PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:

> As stands you are not just keeping all RAM in use, you are
> keeping much of the swap/paging space in heavy use as well.
> Both CPUs and RAM end up waiting on paging/swapping I/O in
> order to deal with the original memory access requests by
> programs.

In fact I'd forgotten how long it takes to swap in enough
data to re-start a thread. That idle time was what made me
think something was wrong. My mistake.

But, would restricting the number of usable cores using -j1
or -j2 reduce the overall compile time? Clearly, it would make
the system more responsive to new demands by keeping resources
in reserve, but this is basically a batch job. There are no other
users to placate. So long as it doesn't get stuck more cores in
use seem better.

 Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska