Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 06:25:34 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP passive mode - a new default?

On 26 May 99, at 3:50, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Unless I hear unanimous fierce outcry against it, I'm strongly
> considering making FTP_PASSIVE_MODE obsolete by virtue of being the
> default for all tools/libraries which currently examine it.
> FTP_ACTIVE_MODE will be the new flag for toggling the previous
> behavior.
>
> Given the state of the Internet today, I think this is purely a
> sensible change in defaults.  Comments?

It would surely simplify some things.  If you are using a firewall, you'll
need passive mode.  If you're not using a firewall, passive mode won't
bother you one bit.

For the argument that some ftp servers don't accept passive mode, I say
it's a question of numbers: which default setting will satisfy the
greatest number of people?  which setting will reduce the number of
questions "how do I do X"?
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/