Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 23:17:18 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI hostadapter

On May 24,  7:51, Tomas Klockar wrote:
} According to Terry Lambert:
} > > I have a SCSI host adapter which I would like to use in freebsd
} > > The brand is NexStor NXT-82
} > > Its a VL-Bus FAST SCSI-2 Host adapter
} > > Its using a a NCR 53C700-66 curcuit
} > > It memorymaps the data.
} >=20
} > I believe the NCR 53c7xx series (I don't recognize the "53C700-66"
} > in particular, though) are not supported because they are very
} > low end components, for which no one has written a driver.
} >=20
} > These are the same chips in AMD SCSI/Net ethernet/SCSI chips on
} > the motherboard of some Compaq systems.
} >=20
} > You should use another card (~US$75 for an NCR 8xx series, one
} > of the best available), or write a driver (for which you will need
} > another working machine, or another card, and docs for the 7xx
} > chips; on the plus side, yyou should be able to use the 8xx
} > driver as a template).
}
} I looked around last night and linux seems to have support for this chip
} and all the other 7xx so i got all thier source for it, but i still could=
} =20
} need some help while writing a deviced driver.

No!

Linux does not support the 53c700,
though it knows about the 53c710.

(Support for the 53c710 could be
added to FreeBSD with little effort,
too.)

The 700 is a very early version
with reduced capabilities. It is
far inferior to the 710 (and the
810), and though the latter are
upwards compatible to the 700, the
700 will need several driver changes
to be supported by the NCR driver
in either *BSD or Linux.

} I just think it's better to suport as many cards as its possible to.

Yes, sure. But since these 53c700
controllers have been used only in
very few PC systems (mostly in the
i386 time frame), it is hardly worth
the effort.

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160