Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:21:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joey Guhlin <bahwi@yahoo.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1 and 4.2 halt when booting, Gigabyte GA-6BXU

> Can you be more specific about this?  At which
> point, exactly, is the
> system hanging?  A transcript of the console output
> would be handy.

During boot up, when it is probing devices. With the
kernel -v it goes to isa something pnp something I
believe, sorry, that's the best I can do
unfortunately. I know a transcript would be handy, but
it's a live server unfortunately, and it is once again
running 4.1, as 4.1.1 and 4.2 are where the errors
were.

> Note that the PnP probe message actually preceeds a
> pile of other things
> which can also fail; don't make the assumption that
> just because it's
> said "PnP" that that's what's going on. 8)

Yeah, well I figured the -v would be as specific as I
could get it, which is why I posted to the list. =) It
is for sure one of the messages that only comes out
when verbose is on, unfortunately I'm away from an
actual FreeBSD machine or I would re-boot mine with -v
to give you the actual message, but it's christmas
time and I'm on a *gah* Windows ME machine.

> There are no known problems with PnP in 4.2, so
> there's nothing that's
> going to be fixed unless we can characterise your
> problem here.

If you can't turn PnP totally off, then there's a
problem. =) I know the problem is somewhere since in
4.1 the system works without a hitch, and 4.1.1 kills
it, as did 4.2, but you could be right that it isn't
PnP, but how can I find out what it is? I can always
pop in a 4.1.1 cd(with alot of talking into it) and
try. I've already done the 'disable all devices that
you don't need', and the 'disable all devices except
the monitor and keyboard and npx' bit too. Gotta go,
talk with you later.