Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:08:51 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua
Cc:        kris@airnet.net, David Shanes <dshanes@personalogic.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Fri, Apr 10, 1998 at 10:46:03PM +0300, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:
> Mark Mayo wrote:
>
> About "Linux is enemy": I think not.

I wasn't saying that Linux is the enemy in general - merely that
in the academic setting, Linux is the enemy, or to be more acurate,
the "competition".

-Mark

> 3. And for pity, actual programming on C++ now is better do on
> Linux or SCO than on FreeBSD.
> for example, for Linux exists 3 or 2 commercical C++ compilers,
> for FreeBSD --- none.

Hmm. Which compilers are you referring to? And how many people are
actually using commercial compilers under Linux?

> all CORBA ports in ports collection are very old.
>
> Creating bazzar-style ports collection can help a little in
> this situation.

I disagree. Our port collection is amazing. It makes getting programs
for FreeBSD very straight-forward and efficient. The problem is that
not all of the ports are always completely up to date - but this has
nothing to do with "cathedral vs. bazaar". It simply has to do with the
free time of the volunteers.

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark