Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 19:14:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryan Ogawa at Work <bogawa@netvoyage.net>
To:        Chris Dabrowski <chris@vader.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Processes

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Chris Dabrowski wrote:

> Does anyone know what could be causing these error messages:
>
> May  5 05:31:09 tatooine innd: ME cant spawn /news/bin/control/newgroup
> for control/newgroup/17509 Resource temporarily unavailable
> May  5 05:31:09 tatooine innd: ME cant fork /news/bin/control/newgroup
> Resource temporarily unavailable
> May  5 05:31:09 tatooine innd: ME cant spawn /news/bin/control/newgroup
> for control/newgroup/17510 Resource temporarily unavailable
> May  5 05:31:09 tatooine innd: ME cant fork /news/bin/control/newgroup
> Resource temporarily unavailable

Top of my head response:  look for the user limits on processes/cpu time.
man limit (actually the csh man page, look for it).

There is, I believe, a ulimit command as well for more recent FreeBSDs
that will run under sh (so that when you do your inn startup, you can call
it and change the limits to their max values).  If not, you can always
spawn csh and run from there.

This is what I would guess your problem is.

bryan

> I'm running FreeBSD-2.1 STABLE with MAXUSERS (in the kernel) set to 64. I
> have tried setting it other values all to no avail. Is there any way of
> increasing the number of processes?
>
> I use my machine to run X, inn, named, nfs (client & server), apache,
> samba and sendmail (from inetd) so the number of processes can get quite
> large (about 70), but when the above occurred I wasn't even running X.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. I've had a look as some man pages (sysctl)
> and the FAQ and Handbook but it hasn't helped. The Handbook states that
> the number of processes is equal to 20 + (16 * MAXUSERS) or in my case 1044
> which should be more than enough.
>
> Spec:
> 	P100
> 	48 Mb RAM
> 	Adaptec 2940 PCI
> 	64 Mb Swap (32 Mb partition & 32 Mb file)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Dabrowski