Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:03:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers?

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Kevin Eliuk wrote:

> BTW do you have any suggestions on the better resources to learn SGML?

http://www.sil.org/sgml/sgml.html

The first couple headings on the page have pointers many good
on-line introductions and tutorials.

On my bookshelf, the most heavily used SGML item is "Developing
SGML DTDs: From Text to Model to Markup" by Eve Maler and Jeanne
el Andaloussi.  Next would be Goldfarb's "SGML Handbook" but with
Maler's book, I only refer to Goldfarb for more esoteric things.

The trouble with a lot of writing on SGML is that SGML is treated
in isolation, or when treated in the context of an application,
the treatment is at the "executive" level rather than a user or
implementor level.  SGML does not stand on its own--it is a
standard aimed at making other tools more powerful by
standardizing data and markup representation, so treating it in
isolation leaves a lot of people with a feeling of "okay, now
what?"

-john