Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:00:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu, toor@dyson.iquest.net, (Karl Denninger) <karl@mcs.net>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT Kernel Status

> For data you care about, you should use a two stage commit process that
> guarantees an ordered set of operations, and forces a commit to stable
> storage.
>
> Ideally, you'd do this by mounting the FS you were operating against
> "sync" and implementing comething very like soft updates, except your
> graph edges would be described by events important to you, not the FS.
> 8-).

Although an excellent idea (not necessarily new :-), this will not protect
you from software bugs.  Nothing will.

> The way in which the current damage took place, where vm object commits
> were not reliable... well, that's not something you can recover from at
> all, sorry.

You are right.  This braught to mind to question the necessity of having a
unified buffer I/O subsystem.  In a truely compartmentalized system, the VM
could have had nothing to do with data files I/O.  Yet, even that would not
have saved us from a bug.  One of the virtues of Unix is a unified kernel.
Any bug effectes any system.

Simon