Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:38:42 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Visigoth <visigoth@telemere.net>, Daniel Hauer <dh@enter.net>
Subject:   Re: How to apply patches?

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:10:13AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> CVSup was originally developed as a tool for mirroring repositories.  It
> doesn't sound like you need a repository.  It sounds like you just need
> checked out source, provided that the tool you use to update that
> checked out source doesn't blow away your local modifications.

True.  I was thinking along the lines of CVSup because it is almost
the only way for me to checkout source (see below).

> You could use anoncvs to check out and then maintain a source tree.
> Local modifications to the tree will be left intact.  Every now and
> then, a FreeBSD committer may make a change in an area that you have
> already changed.  In this case, you'll get a CVS conflict, the conflict
> will be clearly marked inside the file and you will need to edit the
> file and fix the conflict.  Fixing conflicts is often trivial.

Right.  Been there, done that :)

> For information on anoncvs, see this web page:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/anoncvs.html

The only obstacle (yet quite a serious one :( ) before me using anoncvs
is.. are there any mirror servers?  anoncvs.freebsd.org keeps giving me
a busy signal most of the time :(  It's quite rare that I do login :(

A .de mirror would be perfect, I'd quite happily settle for a .uk or any
European mirrors..  even a US one would be fine, if it would just let me
in every once in a while ;)

G'luck,
Peter

--
If you think this sentence is confusing, then change one pig.