Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2016 05:54:52 +1000
From:      Jan Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Odd behavior with virtualbox-ose-4.3.38

Hi,

<janm@transactionware.com <mailto:janm@transactionware.com>> wrote:
> Do you have aio loaded or compiled into your kernel? If so, does it =
keep happening without aio?
> [ =E2=80=A6 ]
> Thanks for the suggestion, but, no. This is on my trusty Lenovo T520 =
laptop and no aio to be found. My configuration is just:
> include           GENERIC
> ident             GENERIC_BSD4
>=20
> nooptions         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
> options           SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
>=20
> I still can't be sure if the problem was triggered by the move to VB 5 =
or t FreeBSD-11 (or a combination of both).

Yes, the problem could be in many places. However, if you=E2=80=99ve =
gone to FreeBSD 11, you have more aio than you think.  =46rom UPDATING:
20160301:
	The AIO subsystem is now a standard part of the kernel.  The
	VFS_AIO kernel option and aio.ko kernel module have been =
removed.
	Due to stability concerns, asynchronous I/O requests are only
	permitted on sockets and raw disks by default.  To enable
	asynchronous I/O requests on all file types, set the
	vfs.aio.enable_unsafe sysctl to a non-zero value.
Are you running the VM against a raw disk device? You can check the =
VBox.log output =E2=80=94 If you are not using aio, you should see an =
entry like this:

AIO: Async I/O manager not supported (rc=3DVERR_NOT_SUPPORTED). Falling =
back to simple manager

If you are using AIO, you will should see entries like:

AIOMgr: Default manager type is "Async"
AIOMgr: Default file backend is =E2=80=9CNonBuffered"

AIO issues were not a big issue for a long time but some recent updates =
to 4.3.something (or other environmental issues, possibly load) led me =
to turn aio off on a bunch of 10.x machines running a significant number =
of VMs (~25). I=E2=80=99m have been curious about whether the aio change =
would cause problems with an upgrade to 11.

Regards,

Jan.