Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:00:39 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <lplist@closedsrc.org>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com?>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Charles Burns wrote:

> > > This depends on what you plan to do. The general consensus among the
> > > hardware reviewers is that the Athlon is overall faster than any other
> >x86
> > > compatible CPU.
> >
> >	Yep, that's what I read as well but are there any drawbacks to
> >being faster such as compatibilty and all that stuff?
>
> The last problem that AMD processors had that was in any way significant was
> when a few old K6 processors would become flaky with more than about 40MB of
> RAM. This was back when RAM was about $45/MB in the U.S. so most people
> never got that much anyway (and when they did they weren't using K6 chips)

	Hmmm, perhaps that's why one of our machines with a K6-200 non-MMX
seems unstable with 64 megs of RAM..  The RAM actually costed more like
$50/MB for 72 pin EDO SIMMs.

> Oddly enough, as of late AMD's platform has been more reliable than Intel's.
> Intel released a chipset for the P3 that was designed exclusively for Rambus
> RAM. When Intel figured out that Rambus wasn't the greatest, they hurriedly
> implimented a "memory translator hub" that allowed the chipset to use SDRAM
> on top of the RAMBUS packet protocol.
> This obviously made the motherboard damn slow, but it also led to data
> corruption in certain cases which is a big nono. Intel recalled the chipset.
> They were in such a hurry to leapfrog AMD that they failed to properly test
> the chipset. This will long be a taint on Intel quality in the memory of
> many computer professionals.

	True but isn't the 440BX supposed to still be the robust Intel
chipset?

> Intel also released a Pentium-3 at 1.13GHz. You may have noticed that you
> can't buy these--that is because Intel didn't seem to test them very much at
> all. Rather than learning from their mistakes, they rushed another product
> and had to recall it when almost none of them would even compile a Linux
> kernel.

	I thought they recalled it as soon as they announced it, this was
what drove their stock prices down.

> Their latest prize, the P4, has been the joke of the computer industry. "Why
> pay $1100 for a GHz Pentium three when you can pay $2500 for a lower
> performing 1.5GHz P4!?" In one article that I read, an Intel rep was quoted
> as saying "It's 1.5GHz. Of course it's faster."
> Ad nausium.

	Hehe, it's marketing...

> Athlons have one current issue--heat. They are very stable at very high
> temperatures, but just in case, you should get a very good heatsink.
> Recently Anandtech (www.anandtech.com) tested several Socket-A heatsinks and
> crowned a king. I can't remember offhand what it was, though. With the
> 1.33GHz Athlon dissipating about 72.9 watts, you need some pretty decent
> cooling. This isn't to say that P3s and P4s aren't pretty toasty.

	It had to be either the GlobalWin or the other ones... The Orb's
is a joke.

> > > The only significant performance advantage that the Pentium 3 has over
> >the
> > > Athlon is that its l2 cache memory is _much_ faster than that of the
> >Athlon.
> > > If you are going to be running applications that for some reason depend
> > > almost exclusively on the bandwidth of the L2 cache (software with lots
> >of
> > > loops that are under 192K may be an example of this) than in some
> >situations
> > > a P3 at 1GHz will likely be faster than an Athlon at 1GHz.
> >
> >	Hmmm, I guess that part is one I can't figure out since for
> >FreeBSD, would this really count as a typical server?
>
> It does help, but the Athlon seems to be slightly faster at the same
> clockspeed for the majority of tasks (and is available in higher
> clockspeeds)

	Yep, true...

> >	Yeah, that's what I am concerned about.  It seems that most things
> >are optimized for the Intel CPU's.  While the FPU is faster on the Athlon
> >than the Intel, what about the non-FPU area?
>
> Theoretically the Athlon is 50% faster at non-FPU (integer) calculations. In
> practice, it is 5-25% faster, depending on the application.
> Don't worry too much about optimizations. The Athlon is designed to run P3
> optimized software. The only optimizations that don't benefit the Athlon
> involve SSE optimizations (which make the P3 about 2% faster than the
> Athlon, depending on the application, in FPU intensive stuff at the same
> clock speed) and fixes for some of the P3's bugs, which the Athlon doesn't
> have. (Not to say that the Athlon is bug free, but all have been fixed in
> microcode because there aren't any known serious design flaws)

	Thanks, I guess at 2% increase, it's not worth it since with the
same amount of money, the AMD will probably win anyways even for less
money...

> >	Speaking about DDR RAM, what kind of performance hits would there
> >be using DDR versus non-DDR RAM?
>
> None. DDR RAM is faster.
> Well, ok technically DDR ram has a higher latency, but if you use a chipset
> that is designed around low latencies like the AMD 760 chipset, this becomes
> a non-issue. (In fact, latencies are often lower than those of normal RAM)
> DDR stands for Double Data Rate. It's bandwidth is theoretically twice that
> of normal RAM. In practice the actual system performance is 1-10% higher,
> but this may improve as applications start to take more advantage of higher
> bandwidth and as SMP Athlons come out.

	Yeah, true... Now, only if there is a AMD 760 chipset based
motherboard with a ISA slot since I need it for my $600 soundcard :(

> Tom's Hardware recommends using ONLY the AMD 760 chipset for DDR Athlons.
> Tom's Hardware is usually right, so I would take that into consideration. I
> have an AMD 750 (the old AMD chipset) on my system now and it has been
> rock-solid even when overclocking my 1st generation Athlon from 500 to
> 800MHz. Stability is, of course, the main factor when considering server
> hardware.
> Asus generally makes the most stable motherboards.

	True but I think ABIT motherboards have been good as well.  ASUS
has a problem with the ATA100 area from what I heard.

> > > The Athlon is much, much cheaper. Motherboards, however, are more
> >expensive.
> > > The overall cost ends up lower with the Athlon, especially if you are
> > > considering the price/perormance ratio.
> >
> >	Yeah, that's what I realized as well.  It seems like the VIA and
> >AMD chipset based motherboards costs a lot more than the Intel variants.
>
> The EV6 bus is more complex and thus more expensive to implement. (FYI)

	Yeah, I guess I forgot about that.

> > > The P4 is a different story entirely... I would avoid it like an old
> >Cyrix
> > > CPU if I were you.
> > > Even if it weren't slower than the P3 or Athlon in most software, the
> >socket
> > > is soon to be changed so you will be left without the ability to upgrade
> > > much in the future. The chip is terribly expensive (as is the rest of
> >the
> > > platform), has a short life, is amazingly inefficient with its
> >transistors
> > > and memory bandwidth, and is overall certainly something to steer clear
> >from
> > > until Intel fixes some of its unacceptable weaknesses.
> >
> >	Atleast from the guys at Anantech, they are all anti-Intel and one
> >of the reasons is as you stated about the P4's socket.  I guess the
> >choices were easier during the Pentium days since you can just pop in a
> >AMD K6 in place of a Pentium without a total reinvestment.
>
> I often hear "Such-and-such a site is anti [AMD/Intel/Cyrix] because of
> such-and-such."

	Yeah but on Anantech, atleast in the forums, people are all for
the Athlon with very few for the Intel side.

> Usually Tom's Hardware is accused more than Anandtech because they are mor
> apt to be harsh on something that doesn't live up to the hype, but Anandtech
> isn't immune.

	I haven't visited Tom's Hardware in ages...

> I have followed many hardware sites for years and have even written a few
> reviews. With the exception of sites like AMDzone and Intelzone, they are
> anti-stuff-that-is-unwise-to-buy, not anti [insert brand].
> Really, why should anyone care what brand a chip is? If a given platform is
> a good deal, great. If not, avoid it. I don't care who makes my computer
> stuff as long as they have a good rep, a good product, and didn't BS too
> much in their marketing.

	Yep, that point is true since what matters is the end product and
how it performs...

> Intel just dropped P4 prices. If the chip somehow gets the best
> price/performance ratio, I will have to consider it in the future.

	I think Intel will still cut prices once more later this month and
I think AMD just cut prices as well.

> >	Thanks, I'm familiar with all of those.  I guess I just wanted to
> >know how they do under FreeBSD since all the sites really benchmark it
> >under Windows.
>
> Ya... Isn't that irritating? I usually compile a Linux kernel with an
> optimized compiler and with the default compiler to test myself. Typically
> Windows software seems to perform similarly to similar Unix software, at
> least for me.

	I guess it's easy to test it yourself after you have the hardware
itself already.  It's just hard to figure out what to buy.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin