Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:35:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monday strikes again

Okay, further investigation shows that configure() has the following
code:

#if NPNP > 0
        /* Activate PNP. If no drivers are found, let ISA probe them.. */
        pnp_configure();
#endif

        /*
         * Explicitly probe and attach ISA last.  The isa bus saves
         * it's device node at attach time for us here.
         */
        if (isa_bus_device)
                bus_generic_attach(isa_bus_device);

However isa_bus_device is still NULL so we never get any ISA devices
attached. No ISA devices means no console (the VGA card and serial ports
are both ISA devices), so we explode.

Since the ISA bus in this machine is on-board instead of being hung
off a PCI to ISA bridge, I suspect that somebody broke the handling
on on-board ISA buses.

Thank you very much, may I have another.

-Bill