Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 00:02:38 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net>
To:        dragon@community.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DownLoading FreeBSD

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 12:39:25AM -0700, dragon@community.net said something like:
> 	How can i download a copy of FreeBSD ?? I did went to the ftp site as
> stated...but underneath it there are many directories..where can i get it
> all in one..like the setup file..etc..?

You don't need to download it to install it. You can just download the
boot floppy, and the tool to write the boot floppy (you don't just copy
the file to your floppy drive, you have to do a raw block transfer).
The full instructions are at:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

More or less, you load up the boot floppy, and it steps you through
the installation; then it automatically fetches the files you need
automatically. You don't need to worry about it.

For your first time, I recommend getting the boot floppy and following
the instructions referenced above.
however, if you're feeling adventurous...

If you _did_ want to download it  all first, for whatever reason (might
make sense if you have more than one machine that you want to set up),
then you need to pretty much mirror the entire directory structure in
ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/archive2/FreeBSD/2.2.7-RELEASE
You can get by without some of it though...I'll try to clarify

ftp> pwd
257 "/archive2/FreeBSD/2.2.7-RELEASE" is current directory.
ftp>
 need  0   1536 Jul 30 09:09 bin
 need  0    512 Jul 30 09:04 catpages
 need  0     27 Jul 22 15:08 cdrom.inf
 opt   0    512 Sep  6 05:47 commerce
 rec   0    512 Jul 30 08:54 compat1x
 rec   0    512 Jul 30 08:54 compat20
 rec   0    512 Jul 30 08:55 compat21
 rec   0    512 Jul 30 09:03 des
 opt   0    512 Jul 30 09:09 dict
 rec   0    512 Jul 30 08:54 doc
 need  0    512 Jul 30 09:10 floppies
 opt   0    512 Jul 30 09:04 games
 opt   0    512 Jul 30 09:10 info
 rec   0    512 Jul 30 09:05 manpages
 opt   0     17 Jul 30 06:29 packages -> ../packages-2.2.7
 opt   0    512 Jul 30 09:11 ports
 opt   0    512 Jul 30 09:09 proflibs
 opt   0   3584 Jul 30 09:02 src
 rec   0      8 Jul 30 06:29 tools -> ../tools
 opt   0    512 Sep  6 05:47 xperimnt

Things marked with "need" are things you really need to get started with,
such as system programs and help files (catpages). "opt" things are optional,
depending on what you want to do. "rec" are things I recommend you get,
such as manpages (help files) and compatibility libraries that let you
run older freebsd programs.

Note that the packages directory is huge--several hundred megs. A lot
of that is taken up by japanese, korean, russian, etc- specific packages
which you only need if you want to run a non-english system.

the recommended approach is to get the core OS itself, as well as the
X bin, man, lib, doc and maybe prog directories, and the X server appropriate
for your hardware, and install that stuff. Then, figure out what packages
you want to get, and download those and install them afterwards.

It can be helpful to set up a local mirror of the freebsd ftp site,
but I'd say that for your first time through, just get the floppy
and let it install itself the way it wants to. I like to have a local
mirror so that I can mess my system up and reinstall it very quickly
without wasting bandwidth.