Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 09:45:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Aleksey Zvyagin <zal@rest.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > P.S.  As has been covered in *great* detail this last week, and as is
> > > also available via the mailing list archives, edit /dev/wd0a to be the
> > > fully-slice-qualified name, like the other entries.  e.g. /dev/wd0s1a.
> >
> > I think I'll have to join Paul in questioning whether this breakage is
> > going to make 2.2.6 a support nightmare.  I don't want this to become
> > another ``unknown login class root''-style hailstorm.   :-(
>
> If you update /sbin/mount at the same time, it's a no-op.  I got bitten
> by the two different "dedicated" disk types issue though; that hurt.
> The fix is still being tested in -current, but I haven't heard any
> complaints about it, so I was planning to bring it over tonight.
>
> I think it was my turn to be bitten by a "this is simple and innocouous
> and will reduce world ugliness" change.  8(

In fact, there are situations where the upgrade of /sbin/mount and the
kernel at the same time on a "sliced" machine *WILL NOT WORK*.  I just got
bitten by this about 4 hours ago -- or rather, 30 minutes ago.  My main
server machines reboot at a nasty time on a Saturday morning (nasty EST,
that is :).  I upgraded all of them to a recent (Mar 9) -STABLE kernel and
mount.  The main server machine did not come up.  Reason?  Because the
slice arrangement was like this, left over from the days before >1024
cylinder boot:

/dev/wd0s1a on /
/dev/wd0s2e on /usr
/dev/wd0s2f on /homea
/dev/wd2s1a on /homeb
/dev/sd0a on /homec
/dev/sd1s1e on /home
/dev/wd0s2h on /usr/var/mail

That is, there are two slices on wd0, the boot device.  The a partition
(wd0a) completely fills wd0s1.  The other three partitions on wd0 are in
wd0s2.  So the unfortunate news is that /dev/wd0s1a DID NOT EXIST.  The
2.0.5 install floppy that originally built the machine never created the
slice entries in /dev, and therefore the remount from root_device to
/dev/wd0s1a failed.  Talk about sucky.  The root_device is read-only by
definition, and now one is at a single-user shell but cannot write to the
device to create a device node, and cannot remount to make it writable. :)
While this is definitely fixable, it is fairly sucky.  :)

So really the text in the FAQ needs also to do this:

Step 2: Verify that all the compatibility slice entries in your /etc/fstab
also have standard /dev slice entries.  If necessary, create them using
MAKEDEV *before* rebooting or modifying fstab (do not caught with your
pants down if there is power loss).

And maybe references to how to use MAKEDEV.

All of our -stable test machines came up fine after the change, so I went
ahead and rolled it onto our main servers.  Big mistake. :)  Would really
have sucked if I wasn't local -- which I am not 3 months of the year.

Sorry to whine, but it was a generally unpleasent experience.  I should
have checked more carefully, but to be honest, I probably never thought to
create the slice /dev entries later because they were never used.  I have
upgraded the machine from 2.0.5 up through 2.2.2 before switching to
-STABLE and never had a problem. :)

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/