Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:48:18 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Arney@agape.twu.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD's

On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 at 09:34:47PM -0800, Nathanael Arney wrote:
> I, not knowing much about BSD, would like to know the difference between
> the different versions(?) of BSD (eg. open, free etc.).
>
> I have a intel based pc 200mmx and 32meg of ram.
>
> important to me are:
>
> easy instilation

FreeBSD

> emulation of other unixs (including linux)

FreeBSD.  I think.

> good support on learning the system (right now I know about 0.000)

FreeBSD.

> (does knowing dos help?)

Not much :-)

> cool people behind the project

FreeBSD!

Seriously, there's not much difference between the three, but NetBSD
concentrates more on multiple platforms (if you have, say, a Sparc,
you currently don't have much choice: NetBSD), while FreeBSD
concentrates more on as smooth as possible an implementation on Intel,
including things like easy installation and ease of use for newcomers.

I don't know enough about OpenBSD to comment.  They're a spinoff of
NetBSD.

Greg