Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:54:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intranet screenshots.

Francisco Reyes wrote to FreeBSD Chat List:

> Anyone could share screen shot of their intranet?
> I have been pushing with a small team of people to create one, FreeBSD
> powered of course, and many of our employees have NEVER seen an Intranet
> so there is some confusion as to what should be in it.
>
> I am pushing for something highly functional while some other people
> are pushing for a more "informative" site.

I guess it depends on what type of organization this is for. Ours has
all of our documentation: policy manuals, internal security policy,
training manuals, address database, etc... as well as some huge
functional bits that allow us to manage accounts, obtain customer/
usage statistics, etc. Our accounting entry system is also shared
among a network of several workstations.

I worked for a large manufacturing company that shared an intranet
with several North American offices across a huge VPN. They had an
internal email system, tons of documentation, news articles, reports,
training (some of it interactive), and, yes, cafeteria specials :-)
All of it used proprietary software without touching a web browser.

Educational institutions typically have some of the more sophisticated
(but often disjoint) intranets, with tons of information, and very
functional bits like course resources, bulletin boards, etc.

In my younger days, I managed a fuelling station. Our intranet
consisted of the occasional bit of policy documented with a note
pinned to a cork board in the back room (my favorite was "Sweep first,
*THEN* mop"). Communication was enhanced by hiring giddy teenagers who
loved to gossip in between shifts. Our cafeteria consisted of one ice
cream freezer, half a dozen confectionery items, and a microwave, so
employees usually ordered delivery. As such, our more motivated
employees maintained a database of fast food telephone numbers on an
index card not-so-discreetly taped to the drawer of the cash register.

Ahh... the bad old days. :-)

That being said, I'll re-iterate my "depends"... This company is an IT
company, and as such, have IT solutions for everything, and have very
different requirements than your bank, etc.

Maybe not much help, but it is fun to reminisce. :-)

- Ryan

> My only exposure to an intranet was at a major bank and it was very
> functional. For instance they had a cafeteria in the building and on the
> first page of the intranet they would have the menu highlights. The
> Intranet was always popular about lunch time. :-)

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon