Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 11:31:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS www mirror

> On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > And every one keeps droping the PCI/I- or PVI- or PCI/E- off the front
> > of these part numbers, this is just as bad :-(.
>
>     Well, I'm just lazy.  :-P  :)

It can end up costing you by getting bad or wrong information and
or wrong product :-(.

> > I haven't done any of the PVI-486AP4 boards so I don't know how
> > fast they are compared to the PCI/I-486SP3G, does your board
> > require simms to be installed in pairs or can you install just
> > 1 72 pin simm and have it work.  If the later you lost quite a
> > bit in memory performance compared to the PCI/I-486SP3G as the
> > latter is about the only board I have seen lately that uses
> > memory interleaving to get real performance out of a 486 chip.
>
>     Argh... I just submitted a spec sheet for three more 486-based
> FreeBSD machines to four dealers for bidding, and I had put down the
> PVI-486AP4 board.  It does not require memory in pairs like the SP3G.
> Is real-world operationg noticeably faster?  Compiling?

Yes, and yes.

> Redrawing hidden windows?  Grepping text?  Running LaTeX?  I'll inquire about
Probably not, Yes, and Yes.

> the availability of the SP3G again and see if the extra cost is
> justified.

Remeber the cost difference includes a SCSI controller, and 2S/1P
on board.

>     Hey, ASUS finally updated their Web site... it actually shows
> their Chinese name now.  I had incredible difficulty getting any
> information about ASUS when I first arrived.  I only knew their
> Anglicized name, and everyone else only knew their Chinese name.  ;-)

:-)

> Anyhow... have you tried the PCI/I-P55TP4 or PCI/I-P55TP4XE Pentium
> boards with FreeBSD?  How do they work?  I may need to spec out one or
> two Pentium FreeBSD systems soon.

Here is my blurb about those: [I don't mention the PCI/I-P55TP4 as
it is also not availiable and ASUS USA can't tell me anything about
it :-(]

The ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 boards are currently available with regular
shipments arriving once a week from Taiwan.  These usually come in
to my distributor (the largest US importer of ASUS products) on
Tuesday after noons or Wednesday morning.  My weekly order of boards
arrives at my location on Friday.  The cache on these boards is the
256K a-sync SRAM.  I can do 512K upgrades by special order only since
ASUS is not shipping the boards that way.  I sell the boards for $299.00.

The ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4PB boards are not available from ASUS at this
time.  The next shipment of them is due into my distributor on approximately
4/21/1995.  The cache on these boards is the 256k 10nS Pipeline Burst
SRAM, the board only accepts 256K of this cache type and it is soldered
to the board.  I sell the boards for $362.00.

The ASUS PCI/I-P55TP4XE boards are not available from ASUS at this
time.  The estimated arrival date is some time in May of 1995.
There is no pricing information available at this time.  I can not
accept an order for this product at this time.

The prices on motherboards includes shipping via UPS ground to any
US business address, add $2.00 for residential delivery.  Other shipping
can be arranged on a customer pays shipping charges basis.

> > The PVI-486SP3 looks to be a bad choice of motherboards for
> > Unix, it only accepts 2 simms total :-(.
>
>     I heard the SiS (?) chipset it uses has some problems too.

I haven't run the Sis 496/497 chipset so I don't know.  In general
I have had good luck with Sis chipsets.  They are far better than
UMC or Opti IMHO.