Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:00:32 -0400
From:      "Ben Dover" <nuckingfutsto@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IP Problems

   OK, this is difficult to explain and my problem is probably bigger than
what I have found but here goes.  I have a dedicated 5.1 FreeBSD box and
when I did a dmesg I received a repeating message as follows:
arplookup 66.246.xx.1 failed: host is not on local network
   This peaked my curiosity so I pinged the bank of IP's I have in the range
of that IP and I was able to ping them with a response.
   Something quick I can do to test to see if the IP will bind is compile an
IRC bouncer.  I found the bouncer would not bind to the IP 66.246.xx.185 as
a normal account user and the bouncer would not function.  If I SU to root
and start the bouncer the IP would bind and the bouncer would function
correctly.  It should be noted that the bouncer was compiled as the normal
account user.
   I have two different sets of IP's on my box and I have added them in the
rc.conf in the following way:
ifconfig_sis0_alias10="inet 209.123.xx.200 netmask 255.255.255.255"
ifconfig_sis0_alias11="inet 66.246.xx.185 netmask 255.255.255.255"
   Do I have the IP's added wrong in rc.conf?  What am I doing wrong? Why do
I receive the dmesg which appears to be an error?  Any assistance would be
appreciated.

Chat privately with Bon Jovi, Seal, Bow Wow, or Mary J Blige using MSN
Messenger! http://www5.msnmessenger-download.com/imastar/default.aspx