Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:27:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Thorsten Trampisch <thorsten@trampisch.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c509 detected but no connection to network

--0-2125525969-979237642=:17056

At Fri, 12 Jan 2001 it looks like Doug Young composed:

dougy->Most 509's came with RJ45, BNC, & often AUI as well & they don't
dougy->auto-detect the interface well .... if at all. The way I've fixed this
dougy->problem

Hello, look at my <snipped> dmesg and you'll see my 3c509 shows up
as "BOTH" ep0 and ep1

I configured the ep1 option and it worked fine. ep0 seems to reflect
the 10-base2 connector that is in the chipset but not on the card. I
have only ONE RJ-45 connector, I'd suspect that the chipset was used
in the past for "combo" cards and was just thrown in on the single
RJ-45 interface model

Take a look, it tripped me out when I saw it. I naturally tried to
configure ep0 but that didn't work. This was done via
/stand/sysinstall

__
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076
San Francisco, CA 94121
"UNIX, A Way of Life."

--0-2125525969-979237642=:17056
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--0-2125525969-979237642=:17056--