Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:57:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dead natd -> dead system

While working with a FreeBSD system this afternoon, I did something which killed
natd (the NAT daemon), which was processing packets in the usual way via ipfw
and a divert socket.

The result? Network communications on the system simply went dead.

It seems to me that ipfw should be able to "self-heal" (that is, bypass the
rule) or reinvoke a daemon that's attached to a divert socket. Otherwise,
the process that's attached to the socket becomes an Achilles' heel for
the whole system. Crash it for any reason, and the system's offline.

Ideas?

--Brett Glass