Date:      Sun, 07 Oct 2001 00:50:01 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Slow samba performance w/DOS (Drive Image 5.0).

[ This is being posted so that it gets put into the archives.  ]

     If you are experiencing slow samba performance with DOS clients,
where samba-to-DOS is fine, but where DOS-to-samba is very slow
(~60KB/sec, in my case), the solution is to upgrade to the latest
version of samba and apply the fixes outlined in:

	http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&threadm=9ktrkl%24g7f%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=15&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3Dsamba%2520slow%26as_oq%3Ddos%2520msdos%26lr%3Dlang_en%26num%3D100%26as_scoring%3Dd

However, if you're still experiencing slow transfers from samba to DOS,
you may have to further decrease SO_RCVBUF.  In my case, I was still
having abysmal throughput with Drive Image 5.0, even though the DOS copy
command was (finally!) able to transfer data quickly.  I was able to fix
this using a buffer size of 4096 (8192 did not work), such as (in
smb.conf):

	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=4096

(I should have tried, but did not, increasing SO_RCVBUF to locate the
threshold where the throughput drops.)

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com