Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:53:06 -0700
From:      David Bear <David.Bear@asu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   device hints issue

I just completed a cvsup make buildworld, buildkernel cycle for
freebsd 4.10. I cvsup'ed to releng_4_10.  when attempting to
make installkernel I get the following error:

/i386/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
/usr/obj/usr/src/make.i386/make KERNEL=kernel install
You must set up a /boot/device.hints file first.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC.
*** Error code 1
this seems stranges since according the handbook device.hints is a
feature of 5.x. It does not exist in /boot anywhere.  should I touch
/boot/device.hints and just let it go?

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257