Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:53:34 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dialup modem (some off topic stuff)

Doug Young wrote:
> From: "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
>> Nokia seems to be doing something better than Ericsson. I've got one
>> of the bitsy fashion phones (because it's the only one available
> with
>> IR modem capability except for Ericssons) with no external antenna,
>> and it's usable in places the Ericsson - with a small external
> antenna
>> - wasn't. Of course, the Ericsson was pretty much junk anyway, which
>> is why I got a Nokia and gave away the Ericssons.
>
> I have a number of GSM phones around here (up to 5 years old.) NONE
> of the ones more than 13 months old that are still functional are
> Nokia.

That's better than I saw with the Ericsson. They were all unusably
unreliable after 3 months. Six failing in a year is enough to convince
me
to avoid them.

The only problem I had with a 9000 in two years of use was breaking the
faceplate when I raw into a wooden chair arm with it - and that was just
cosmetic, the phone worked fine. It also worked for intermitent use
while waiting for replacememts for the peice of junk. That was when
I noticed it had better reception than the Ericsson - even though the
Ericsson had an analog mode.

> After the problems with their DataSuite product & a number of bad
> experiences
> with Nokia warranty claims they don't have much chance of selling
> their particular
> brand of trash anywhere I have influence.

I also had good luck with the supprt folks, but the communicator line
has it's own support group.

	<mike