Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:03:16 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Hassan Halta <hassan@cs.earlham.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS and nslookup problem

hassan@cs.earlham.edu said:
> Here's a problem, say I am using nslookup to look for ibm.net, but
> when I do that, I will get ibm.net.cs.earlham.edu instead on ibm.net
> by itself, or non existence domain...etc. At the beginning it seems to
> be a missing period problem, but I assure you it's not. A friend of
> mine fixed it temporarly if she adds nslookup -nosea , and everything
> goes fine, but if someone is using us as a nameserver, that will not
> help. I was wondering if there are some ways to solve or debug this
> problem.

Nslookup is a client, which really has little to do with your nameserver
(apart from sending queries to it), so what you see with nslookup isn't
necessarily what other people see.

And nslookup actually uses a custom resolver library that isn't the
same as would be used by "normal" clients.

There are many tools, such as dig, which will give you a much better
idea of what's going on.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319