Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 06:55:10 +0100 (BST)
From:      Russ Paton <russ@thumbs.org>
To:        GMurugan@encanto.com (G Murugan)
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic: Cannot mount root

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to the FreeBSD. I installed the FreeBSD 2.2.8 on a Compaq
> m/e(Seagae HDD).  After the installation got completed and when i tried to
> restart the PC, i got a read error. I had the harddisk removed and connected
> to another a PC. Now FreeBSD on this new PC boots but gives out the message
> "Panic: Cannot mount root". How can i go about this problem and what exectly
> does this mean.
>
> thanx for any help.
> Thirumurugan

[snip]

Drive Geometry is the key here, you can get around this and get the machine to
complete the boot process, simply enter the correct drive at the boot prompt,
ie,

1:wd(1,0)kernel

This would have the effect of booting the first IDE drive on the second IDE
channel with the default kernel - When the boot prompt appears, there is
some brief help on additional boot commands that can be used, you can find
that it's a little bit of trial and error until you find the right start-up
configuration, but it does work.

The other option you have (if your machine will also still boot into DOS), is
to copy the following files from the FreeBSD CD-Rom: -

bootinst.exe
boot.bin

Now (under DOS) run bootinst.exe and answer Yes to the subsequent questions.
Once the program has completed, reboot the machine and you should see a
new boot menu that will offer you options dependent on your OS list, ie:

F1 Dos
F2 FreeBSD

Choosing F2 will then boot you properly into FreeBSD, completeing the boot
process.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Russ

--
Russ Paton
russ@thumbs.org                                  http://www.thumbs.org

eouaaWrnmflaalatlyyynew'whwaaaayyy - Name the song - HINT = My Domain