Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 23:20:41 +0000
From:      "Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Cc:        statsdev@distributed.net
Subject:   Re: Anyone have sybase working under FBSD 4.4? - UPDATE

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 09:01:12PM +0000, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> I know people have been able to get sybase running under 3.4, but we're
> having lots of problems with it under 4.4:
>
> - We're occasionally getting crashes, along with some nasty things in our
>   http logs. (sybase errorlog: http://distributed.net/~decibel/errorlog.txt,
>   apache log: http://stats.distributed.net/~paul/errors.txt)

It turns out that this only happens when PHP is running on the database
server. If it's off, or if we run it on another box, everything is fine.
This is PHP4 with FreeTDS (I didn't configure it, so that's all the detail
I have atm). Worst case, we could run a seperate box just for web hosting,
but that doesn't make a lot of sense if we can avoid it.

I'd alse definitely appreciate suggestions on the multiple engine issue.
We've already tried the trick of launching sybase using

#!/usr/bin/perl
use POSIX;

setsid();
exec $ARGV[0]

and also running

#!/bin/sh
pid=`ps -ax|awk  '/dataserver/&&!/awk/{print $1;exit;}'`
echo dataserver pid is $pid
while true; do
  kill -IO $pid || break
done