Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:34:43 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ravi@cow.org, Steve Kaczkowski <operator@phreak.net>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subject:   Re: requesting opinions about strange 3ware problem

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 03:24:27PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > having the 3ware card now and hearing how the ibm disk
> > are prone to failure, i cannot help but to think that i
> > have gotten ALL of the wrong hardware :) someone want
> > to reassure me that i didn't just spend money on lots
> > of book ends?
>
> The 7410 is (according to 3ware) fine.  The 75GXPs on the other hand
> are a total disaster.  Get rid of them ASAP.

However, I cannot see the relationship between the 75GXP flaws and this
error:

Nov  6 03:01:48 lucifer /kernel: twe0: AEN: <twe0: drive error for unknown unit 1>

since it only happens while the system is running "periodic daily" at 3:00
AM. This script does not generate any activity on twed0 (the filesystem
stored there is mounted nosuid), but imposes a high load on ad0 instead.
Obviously I ran "periodic daily" by hand many times, but I could not
reproduce the error.

Also, don't forget that these errors began just after starting 3dmd.
Coincidence? I don't think so.

Anyway, I will try to substitute the DTLA disks. Unfortunately, I don't
have any proof of an actual disk failure.

  Many thanks,
  JMA
--
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **