Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:35:49 -0600
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FireDNS and net.inet.udp.log_in_vain

Doug> Has anybody else noticed this, and is there a solution other
Doug> than "Ignore those log messages" or "Unset
Doug> net.inet.udp.log_in_vain"? (Both of these solutions /are/ fairly
Doug> reasonable.)

Kris> log_in_vain means "log all connection attempts".  And that's
Kris> precisely what it's doing :-) Turn it off or filter it if you
Kris> don't actually want to see ALL connection attempts.

I hate to be contrary, but.... Thats not what /etc/defaults/rc.conf
says:

   log_in_vain="0"                 # >=1 to log connects to ports w/o listeners.

And that isn't what happens, either. When I ssh into the box, I don't
get message, when NTP stuff happens, no log messages. It really only
seems to be when a connection happens to a port not listening:

$ telnet localhost 25
works, connects to the SMTP server with out a message

$ telnet localhost 250
doesn't work, but produces a "Connection attemp" message