Date:      Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:43:56 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Ron <lists@rzweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql 5.0 on FreeBSD 5.3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 04:16:49PM -0800, Ron wrote:
> I went to upgrade mysql from 4.1 to 5.0.  I updated my ports (no problems=
),=20
> but when I ran:
>=20
> pkg_add -r mysql50-server
>=20
> I get:
>=20
> Error: FTP Unable to get=20
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest/=
mysql50-server.tbz: File unavailable
>=20
> I looked at the ftp site, and there is a 5.4 directory, but not one for=
=20
> 5.3. =20
> So, I assume I need to upgrade to FreeBSD 5.4 before installing this port=
. =20
> Is that correct?

No, you can just compile it yourself using ports (although the ports
collection also doesn't support 5.3 any longer, most things will still
work).  Using packages with pkg_add -r is an *alternative* to
compiling yourself using the ports system, and there's no point in
updating your ports collection if you're not going to use it.

Kris

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--