Date:      Sat, 05 Jul 1997 14:24:26 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@polstra.com, xaa@stack.nl
Subject:   Re: CVSUP and CVS branches: still not synchronized, please fix!

Bruce Evans wrote:
> >cvs supplies (or supplied) a script to convert "pre-death-support"
> >repositories (ie: those using Attics as the primary indication of "alive")
> >to the newer "state: dead" form.  Hmm.. it seems to have gone, it was
> >called "convert.sh".
>
> Not gone, just dead :-).  It looks like rev.1.2 broke it (it probably
> really needed the rcs extension -K).

rcs -K ("kill") was stillborn.  At one point there was a set of patches
going around to allow rcs files to have built-in dead revisions, but they
never took off.  At the time, there were two competing methods
"state:dead" and the -K option, they both behaved the same as far as cvs
was concerned except that -K needed patches to rcs and at the time I don't
think there was much chance of having them included in rcs "officially"
for some time, while the "state:dead" was functionally the same except
that it didn't need patches and was not useful for rcs commands.  Both
systems would have followed the default branch, so "ci -K ..." would have
also screwed the file in question as the file would have been killed on
the vendor branch.

The problem was that the script didn't know about how cvs maintains it's
version numbers.  cvs would have done a 'ci -r1.2 -sdead ...' and forced
the "branch:1.1.1" to be ignored.  There's a script "cvs2vendor" in the
contrib area that does know about these rules.. It's amazingly complex
compared to "convert.sh".

I'm amazed that this has taken 2 years to turn up...

> Bruce

Cheers,
-Peter