Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:20:22 -0500
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        Sean Noonan <snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>
Cc:        stepahne B <isom@nerim.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot FreeBSD on a Sony VAIO qr10

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 09:10:59AM -0800, Sean Noonan wrote:
: Stephane,
:
: Since no one has replied I'll take a shot at answering your question.  I had
: a very similar experience with my VAIO PCG-GR250P.  My solution was to boot
: with 4.3-RELEASE, which loaded without problems.  However, I was then unable
: to cvsup to 4-STABLE since the NIC in my VAIO, an Intel Pro 100/VE, wasn't
: supported until 4.4-RELEASE.  The solution was for me was to borrow a cheap
: SMC 16-bit PCMCIA card which was recognized under 4.3.  This allowed me to
: CVSUP to 4-STABLE and the machine boots okay now.

Another thing to try is typing the following at the "ok" prompt:

    set hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
    set hw.pcic.irq="0"

I haven't seen a vaio that will boot and install from cdrom w/out
specifying ISA routing.

Maybe this should go into some sort of mobile.faq?

        --Jerry

Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!