Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 12:53:51 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic with Stable

Brandon Fosdick wrote:

> I cvsup'd on friday (8 Sept), did the whole make world/kernel routine thats in
> UPDATING, rebooted and the kernel panics with "kmem_malloc(<very large negative
> number>):kmem_map too small: 3592192 total allocated". I tried booting off the
> generic and .old kernels but that doesn't work either (same error). So now I'm
> totaly stumped and I can't even boot the machine. Help?!

No laughing...
The great thing about posting to the list is that you find your errors
right away. :)

Back in the day when the kernel building system was more insane and
installed new kernels as $KERNELNAME I had changed my /boot/loader.conf
to load the right kernel. It turns out that this machine hadn't been
rebuilt since those days, so...when friday's kernel was installed as
/kernel the machine kept booting off of /TUNGSTEN and I didn't even
notice. On top of that kernel.GENERIC was so old that it didn't work
either. I guess I should remember to build a new generic kernel when
crossing releases. :)

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

-Brandon