Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2013 07:25:49 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Joe <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter(4) needs maintainer

On Apr 14, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Joe <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> Rui Paulo wrote:
>> On 2013/04/12, at 22:31, Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> wrote:
>>> On Apr 12, 2013, at 7:43 PM, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>>=20
said "I'm still using ipfilter!" and the idea to remove it dies with it. =
I've been saying we should remove it for 4 years now. Not only it's =
outdated but it also doesn't not fit well in the FreeBSD roadmap. Then =
there's the question of maintainability. We gave the author a commit bit =
so that he could maintain it. That doesn't happen anymore and it sounds =
like he has since moved away from FreeBSD. I cannot find any reason to =
burden another FreeBSD developer with maintaining ipfilter.
>>> One thing that FreeBSD is bad about (and this really applies to many =
open source projects) when deprecating something is that the developer =
and release engineering groups rarely provide adequate, if any, tools to =
help users transition and cope with the deprecation.  The fear of =
deprecation can be largely overcome by giving these users a clear and =
comprehensive path forward.  Just announcing "ipfilter is going away.  =
EOM" is inadequate and leads to completely justified complaints from =
users.
>> I agree with the deprecation path, but given the amount of changes =
that happened in the last 6 months, I'm not even sure ipfilter is =
working fine in FreeBSD CURRENT, but I haven't tested it.
>>> So with that said, would it be possible to write some tutorials on =
how to migrate an ipfilter installation to pf?  Maybe some mechanical =
syntax docs accompanied by a few case studies?  Is it possible for a =
script to automate some of the common mechanical changes?  Also =
essential is a clear document on what goes away with ipfilter and what =
is gained with pf.  Once those tools are written, I suggest announcing =
that ipfilter is available but deprecated/unsupported in FreeBSD 10, and =
will be removed from FreeBSD 11.  Certain people will still pitch a fit =
about it departing, but if the tools are there to help the common users, =
you'll be successful in winning mindshare and general support.
>> It's not very difficult to switch an ipf.conf/ipnat.conf to a =
pf.conf, but I'm not sure automated tools exist. I'm also not convinced =
we need to write them and I think the issue can be deal with by writing =
a bunch of examples on how to do it manually. Then we can give people 1y =
to switch.
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Rui Paulo
>=20
> Wow boys, This conversation has gotten way off track. Looking for a =
maintainer for ipfilter is totally different than opening the dead =
subject of removing ipfilter from the system.
>=20

The project has been in search of a maintainer for ipfilter for many =
years.  Gleb's most recent plea is just the latest round in this loose =
battle.

> Look at openbsd's pf, its been forked and is now freebsd maintained. =
New upstream versions of Ipfilter have always needed tweaking before it =
can be included in the base system. If your unsatisfied with the lack of =
bug fixes, then ask the author for special permission to create a fork =
if his license don't allow it now.
>=20
> The point is: ipfilter is part of FreeBSD and you are never going to =
remove it. Accept that fact.
>=20

Negative, amigo.  Without passionate interest in developing ipfilter, =
it's just a roadblock and an eyesore.  Abandonware needs to be culled.

Scott