Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:54:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Richard Neswold <neswold@aduxb.fnal.gov>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accomodating Terry

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > CVS updates will still keep me current. I get revision control of my changes
> > while I develop. The main repository only gets my "final" source base.
> >
> > Am I missing something in this scenario?
>
> | % cvs log foo.c

[CVS output deleted...]

> Oops.  You don't have a previous revision, do you?  You only have
> your 'tip'.  And your 'tip' is not the correct "final" source base.

That's because you're modifying it.

> I'm worried about getting all of this baseline code in and then finding
> out 3 months down the road that one of the baseline module changes I
> made was the wrong one, but having no way to back it out or find out
> what the previous code should have looked like without rewriting from
> scratch.

Just check out the correct "tip" from the cvs repository to overwrite your
modifications.

> Also, if you are trying to follow a set of changes, having them appear
> full-blown in the source tree won't really help your understanding.

Observe which modules were changed (the output of 'cvs update') and
correspond with the developer.

  Rich

  Richard Neswold, Accelerator Div./Controls Dept |     neswold@fnal.gov
  Fermilab, PO Box 500, MS 347, Batavia, IL 60510 | voice (630) 840-3454
  'finger neswold@aduxb.fnal.gov' for PGP key     |   fax (630) 840-3093