Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 12:05:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel make depend failure

As Andrew Gallatin wrote...

> Wilko Bulte writes:
>  > > Are you using NFS ?
>  >
>  > Bingo! I built a kernel from -current after copying the /sys tree
>  > to a local disk on the axp33. That kernel booted just fine.
>  >
>  > Strangely enough I have in the meantime built multiple kernels via NFS
>  > that also worked fine. So, it looks like that 'sometimes' the use of NFS
>  > results in a non booting kernel. Nasty...
>  >
>  > FWIW I'm using a FreeBSD226-release server, running a Kingston 10/100 PCI
>  > adapter:
>
> I'd wager the problem lies on the server side.  I've built zillions
> (well, OK, at least several hundred) kernels via NFS on various alphas
> (PW500au, AS500/266, AS200/166) running FreeBSD using a 3.0-current
> (x86) NFS server without any problems.

Hmm. Interesting...

> There have been numerous NFS fixes since 2.2.6.  You might consider
> upgrading your server to a more recent version of -stable (or even
> better, to -current if you understand the ramifications).  If that's
> not an option, try backing down to NFSv2 if you're mounting /sys via NFSv3.

I don't want my server to go to -current, but I may go to a -stable. The
strange thing is A. I have only seen this happen on freebsd/axp and B.
since a couple of days I have not seen the failure occur again.

I use the same setup to build -current on a x86 box hooked up to the same
server. And no hardware changes have been made to anything. Strange....

Wilko