Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 17:20:57 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

> >> 	How fast is fast enough?  Do you need a disk subsystem that can
> >> handle bursts of ~2500 USENET news history database lookups per
> >> second?  What would it take to get to that level?  Do you need to see
> >> rawio read performance (average tranfer size of one sector w/ 64
> >> simultaneous processes) of around 5,000 read operations per second?
> >
> >We're running quite a bit more than 5,000 iops/sec on the EMC Symmetrix
> >box that's replacing the A-3500s.
> >
> >Just depends on what it is you need done.
>
>    TeraSolutions' RAID systems (TSR-2200) as used on ftp.freesoftware.com are
> capable of >9,000 IOPS.

Is this a controller capability, or does it represent a sustainable load
over the entire array?  How do you measure this? (I'd love to add to my
benchmark/test suite).

FWIW, most of the low-end PCI:SCSI RAID controllers claim throughput in
the 3-5k IOPs, and 20k is not an uncommon claim for mid-high end
controllers.  Simon Shapiro was pushing over 20k on the DPT Century
adapters in "real" applications.  I've had a hard time generating more
than 3k or so out of a FreeBSD box's I/O subsystem - we cluster so
aggressively that I typically run out of I/O bandwidth before I hit an
IOP limit.

>    There are other issues to consider when thinking about software RAID-5. The
> most important of these is the (lack of) non-volatile write-back cache.
This is definitely a kicker.  The better controllers will let you swap the
BBU and RAM into a new controller too, eg. if you've fried a SCSI channel,
and still preserve your unwritten data.  (Mylex and Adaptec, at least, do
this.)