Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 19:04:12 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

In "the Linux development model" the development model part is not
important; the key point is that every enhancement will be tributed to
Linux. Just like the problems people have distinguishing between Linux
(the kernel) and the FSF utilities (the rest of the system): many people
tend believe that the FSF utilites were written by Linus and his
"selected" friends for Linux. No one seems to remember that the GNU
project is a completely different beast...

FreeBSD..ah you mean the thing like Linux?

This is the most harmful phrase I've ever heard for FreeBSD. Believe me,
in some years people will not want to hear about Linux, just as people
will not want to hear about M$ RSN. FreeBSD would be pushed to the
trashcan if we don't make the differences clear right away.

BTW, I don't think we should be rude on Andreessen..after all he is not
saying lies..Linux is more POPULAR, we know which is more powerful.

	Pedro.