Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:57:13 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Patrick C <pcloches@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to reboot with 7.0 release candidates and -RELEASE on AMD64

Patrick C wrote:
> I am having issues getting a new machine with 7 to reboot and power
> down. The machine uses a SuperMicro X7DCL-3 and there are two
> quad-core processors installed. Upon issuing a reboot or power off,
> the machine hangs immediately after displaying the "Uptime" statement.
>
> I have tried disabling ACPI in the BIOS (FreeBSD can't allocate
> interrupts for any of the devices then) and all the sysctl's you'd
> guess... hw.syscons.kbd_reboot, hw.acpi.disable_on_eboot,
> hw.acpi.handle_reboot. The same effect was noticed with
>
> dmesg is here: http://freebsd.pastebin.com/m55c91bee
> kerenl configuration is here: http://freebsd.pastebin.com/m54d0fbe
>
> I have an ACPI dump generated if someone wants it. We have two of
> these systems and are getting more and it would be a big issue if we
> couldn't reboot them.
>
> Thanks,
> -Patrick

Some machines generate an SMI during the shutdown of the USB controller
if legacy USB support is enabled.  Unfortunately the only way to test if
this is the problem is if you can access the machine using a PS/2
keyboard or a serial port (with a BIOS accessible over serial as well)
since once you disable legacy USB support a USB keyboard won't function
until after FreeBSD has booted.

--
Bruce

--