Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 00:01:58 +0200
From:      "Vittorio Mori" <vmori@cronosnet.com>
To:        "Ken Lui" <klui@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   R: Spontaneous reboot while CPU usage is high

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Ken Lui <klui@cup.hp.com>
A: stable@FreeBSD.ORG <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: Ken Lui <klui@cup44ux.cup.hp.com>
Data: giovedì 27 maggio 1999 23.02
Oggetto: Spontaneous reboot while CPU usage is high

>Hi,
>
>I have a problem with FreeBSD 3.2 and my AMD K6-2 at 333MHz. It randomly
>reboots while the CPU usage is high. Sometimes, it does so during a

I work as an OEM in my country.

We recently had some _flawed_ batches of K6 II-333. Some would not even
boot. They also were generating much more heat than the K6 II series we had
before. So you can check the temperature of the CPU (it sounds overworked as
an advice, but believe me, those K6 II were really HOT) .... fans & the
rest. The problem seemed restricted to the K6 II 333 line, the 400Mhz  were
fine.

The problem we had was similar to yours, the machines rebooted or locked up
at about 90% of cpu load, even if the peak was for a short time.

Our previus  K6-2 batch stayed well under 45-55 Celsius.

These bad K6 are running 50-70 Celsius (!).

Even my good ol' Cyrix 6x86MX generates less heat :)

Try to underclock it (300 Mhz) and check. 80% of these "bad" K6 II were fine
at 300 Mhz.

P.S.

I am NOT trying to bury AMD. I am a BIG fan of AMD, of the now extinct
Cyrix, and everything else *not* marked  Intel/Micro$oft.

  Bye,

 Wyk'99