Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:47:05 -0600
From:      "Grant Cooper" <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
To:        "Ed Yu" <edlyu@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to capture bootup messages?

This is kind of brute force but it works.

ee /etc/syslog.conf       /* It may be a default, I forget */
    make sure the "/dev/console" is uncommented (activated )

rm /var/log/console.log            /* delete old log or copy it */
touch /var/log/console.log        /*syslog won't write to an non-existent
file*/

reboot -s                                /* reboot */

ee /var/log/console.log            /* there you go, your boot up log */