Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:19:01 -0800
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd@icablenet.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IpFilter / IpFireWall

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 07:57:47PM -0300, FreeBSD wrote:
> to use ipfw&ipf use this in your kernel! :)
>
> options         IPFIREWALL
> options         IPDIVERT

IPDIVERT isn't required unless you're using divert sockets (natd, mostly).

> options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

IPFIREWALL_FORWARD isn't required unless you're using 'ipfw fwd'.

> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
> options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
> options         IPFILTER
> options         IPFILTER_LOG

> options         TCPDEBUG

TCPDEBUG has nothing to do with ipfw or ipfilter and probably isn't even
that great of an idea on production systems.

> options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
> options         ICMP_BANDLIM

these also have nothing to do with ipfw or ipfilter.

> options         DUMMYNET

this is only required if you're using dummynet (rate limiting).

> options         IPSTEALTH

this has nothing to do with ipfw or ipfilter.

bad advice is actually worse then no advice at all...

--
- bill fumerola / fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org / billf@mu.org
- my anger management counselor can beat up your self-affirmation therapist