Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:02:11 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Axel Simon" <A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Harddisk damage by driver?

I used the trial and error method.

It's far cheaper to replace the power supply with a new one,
than the cost of replacing hard drives and the data they contain.

The hard drive clicking you talked about is the heads movement
mechanism failing to move because the gears are full of platter
recording material that has became air born from the heads hitting
the recording surface because of  inadequate RPM's of the
platters disks due to low voltage or the voltage is so low that the
actuators do not have the power to move the heads movement mechanism.

I don't have to use a voltage meter, I know the symptoms.

If the drives are not to far gone, some times the new power supply
will bring them back to life.

This is why true production boxes have dual power supplies built in.

I have a stand-a-lone power supply that I have lengthen the wires of
the output leads that plug into the motherboard and i/o devices.
When I get HD data errors in the logs or hear HD sounds I use this
customized external power supply to temporary replace the internal
power supply and in most cases have managed to save the HD's from
 total destruction so I can backup the data or copy the whole bad
HD to a new one.

It has been my experience that heat effects the CPU chip and the
circuit board of the power supply and this heat build up is caused
by dust coating the heat sinks and the power supply circuit board.

I open all cases every 6 months and use a very small paint brush
and an pressurized air can to blow out the dust on the motherboard,
CPU heat sunk,  and power supply.

A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Just a little tip from some one who has been there and done that.