Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:33:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        <erothwell@callgtn.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [FBSD-Q] VNCServer and Alternatives: Where to go?

>>>>> "Erik" == Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com> writes:

Erik> Hi folks, I'm looking for a decent BSD interpretation of the
Erik> remote desktop phenominon (a la Microsoft Terminal server,
Erik> Timbuktu, PCAnywhere, etc.)

There are currently two things that I use, but keep in mind that I'm
Microsoft-free.

DXPC (see the port) is the "Differential X Protocol Compressor" ... it
runs on both the server and the client to reduce the communication.
It does caching and compressing and all kinds of other things to
reduce the data flow over the link.  It makes X usable over fairly
long distance links.  DXPC doesn't virtualize the desktop, but it does
transmit the X well.  I use it over DSL often and used it over ssh on
the T1 at BSD-con.  DXPC is a single TCP connection as well ... so
it's easy to tunnel.

I also use xemacs.  XEmacs is capable of having multiple X servers
open at once and allows you to have your editing/mail/news/kitchensink
suite open on multiple desktops.  It even allows you to open a running
X session in text mode (it's the only application I know that can
simultaniously interact with text and graphics on multiple terminals).

Dave.